Consular services




The following documents must be legalised:

1) Complete Original Full Birth Certificate or an Official Extract including parents´ names ; and
2) According to his/her situation:
a) If never married: A Statutory Declaration, stamped by a Notary or     Solicitor, declaring single marital status and eligibility to marry.
b) If divorced: Decree Absolute and a Statutory Declaration, stamped by a     Notary or Solicitor, declaring marital status and eligibility to marry.
c) If widowed: Spouse’s Death Certificate, previous Marriage Certificate and     a Statutory Declaration, stamped by a Notary or Solicitor, declaring     marital status and eligibility to marry.
3) If a name has been changed by Deed Poll or if the person has been    adopted, proof of this must be presented.
4) If the person is under 18 years old, parental consent is required in the     form of an Affidavit stamped by a Notary or Solicitor.

• Statutory Declarations are to be declared per person (i.e. joint declarations   are not accepted) and must include passport numbers, address and line of   employment. A model Statutory Declaration can be downloaded from here.
• Statutory Declarations are valid for a period of three months from the date   of issue.
• Divorced women cannot get married again until 10 months after the    divorce is finalized, unless her new husband is the same man she   divorced.

Procedure for legalisation:
Each original document (Document in English) must be legalised by both the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
1) Documents must first be sent to the Legalisations Office at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Please contact them ( for further information about the procedure.
2) Documents must then be sent to the Consular Section of the Embassy for translation and certification.

Translations and certifications:
All documents must be translated into Spanish and certified as true copies of the original by the Embassy. The fee for translations is £160 per document. If you already have had translations made by a registered commercial translator, the fee for their certification as true copies is £130. Please note that if you use a commercial translator, the Spanish documents will still need to be certified by the Embassy.

When submitting handwritten documents, please make sure they are clearly legible or include a note clarifying the difficult to read sections.

Please note that the fee for translations is separate from the cost of legalising original documents for marriage. Translations will be processed in seven (7) working days.

In cases of emergency, documents may be processed within 4 working days. They will be posted Special Delivery, as long as such an envelope is provided. There is a fee of £10 for this service.

We strongly recommend that once you get married in the Dominican Republic, you make a record of your marriage at your local Foreign Office, for which you will need to translate your Marriage Certificate into English. Please refer to the “Legalisations and Translations” section of this website for information on how to do this.

You can now pay for the legalisation of documents online.
Pay for your documents now!

Consular Section
Embassy of the Dominican Republic
8 Gloucester Square
London, W2 2TJ

Tel: 0905 677 0054 (charges apply)
Fax: 020 7 727 3693


All information displayed is the copywirght © of the
Dominican Republic Embassy UK 2005