DOMINICAN COCOA: AMONG THE BEST IN THE WORLD
Accommodations and Locations:
• USA Today included Excellence Resorts' Excellence Punta Cana on its "10 Great Places to Get Everything Under the Sun" and "10 Great Resorts for Warm-Weather Escape".
• Conde Nast Traveler named the Peninsula House in Samana on the DR's stunning Northeast Coast as the most luxurious place in the Caribbean and the top-scoring property in the Americas on its venerable Gold List 2010 issue
• Travel Agent Magazine named Barceló Punta Cana one of the top five green resorts in the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Bermuda in 2010.
• USA Today included the Golden Dolphin Villa in Cabrera on the DR's North Coast on its list of "10 Great Places for a Family Reunion" in 2010.
• Punta Cana Resort and Club's posh Tortuga Bay Hotel in the DR received the AAA Five Star Diamond Award.
• Luxury Living International mentioned Coson Beach in Las Terrenas, DR and Juanillo Beach in Punta Cana, DR on its list for the "Top 10 Beaches to Live on in Paradise" in 2010.
• GolfWeek seleted Punta Espada Golf Course in Cap Cana as the best course of the Caribbean and Mexico for 2010. This acknowledgment marks the second consecutive year that the course has earned the top spot in the magazine's annual ranking.
• GolfWeek has included nine Dominican golf courses on its "2010 Best Courses of the Caribbean and Mexico:" Teeth of the Dog Golf Course (Casa de Campo) in La Romana; Dye Fore Golf Course (Casa de Campo) in La Romana; Playa Grande Golf Course in Rio San Juan; Roco Ki Faldo Legacy Golf Course in Macao, Punta Cana; La Romana Country Club (Casa de Campo); Guavaberry Golf & Country Club in Juan Dolio; La Cana Golf Course (Puntacana Resort & Club); and Links Golf Course (Casa de Campo) in La Romana.
Top Travel Destinations
• Santo Domingo received the 2010 Cultural Capital Award from the American Capital of Culture. (www.cac-acc.org)
• Budget Travel named Samana Peninsula, DR one of its "Top Budget Travel Destinations for 2010".
• CNN included the DR as one of its recommendations for "Affordable and Accessible Vacations in 2010".
• Travel + Leisure named the DR and Los Haitises National Park on its list of "30 Romantic Dream Trips 2010".
• Orbitz.com listed Punta Cana, DR as number eight on its list of "Top 10 Spring Break Destinations for 2010".
• Coastal Living named Saona Island in the DR on its list of "Top 31 Best Beach Vacations" in 2010".
Work advances on Dominican Republic’s first large wind energy park
Dominican Republic’s first large scale wind energy project being built in the country’s westernmost tip advances, and will surpass in capacity all others installed in the entire Caribbean region.
The president of the power company EGE-Haina, the plant’s owner, affirmed that with 33 megawatts and a cost of nearly US$100 million. It will be the region’s biggest wind energy park.
The project consists of 19 towers, 14 in the span between the southwestern towns Pedernales, Los Cocos and Juancho, and 5 in the city of Barahona, from where it will link to the national grid.